My name is Matt Charles and I am a journalism graduate. I studied at the University of Kent, where I obtained a first class honours on a course which is rated number one in the UK.
At university, I have been taught a wide range of skills by top lecturers, including reporting and writing techniques, video and audio editing, knowledge of local and national government and civil and criminal law.
In my spare time, I have gained experience in local, regional and national media. This includes:
- A six week contract at the Times newspaper in London, working on the home news desk.
- Two weeks at the Daily Mail in London as a reporter.
- A placement at the BBC in Southampton, working on TV, radio and online projects.
- Three weeks of work at the Medway Messenger (Medway)
- Two weeks of work at the Kent Messenger (Maidstone)
- An ongoing position as Deputy Editor of the Medwire (Medway)
I cover a large amount of topics in my work but I am particularly interested in areas of crime, policing, social affairs, politics and economics.
In June 2013, I was shortlisted for the National Union of Students’ Journalist of the Year. This is a very prestigious award and only two other people were selected.